Monday, January 16, 2012

The Bible in a Year: Week 2

So we're into our second week of reading through the entire Bible in 2012!

I've been getting a little frustrated with myself this week. I have developed a bit of a routine to make sure I get my readings done every day; it basically involves reading on the bus & metro on the way to whatever I'm up to, and staying in the metro a little extra time if I'm not done yet instead of walking to my destination. I've started using an ESV Bible app on my iPhone and it's very easy to get all of the readings done at once in an efficient and quick way.

The problem with that is that it doesn't really feel like I'm actually spending any time in the Word, but rather, it feels like I'm just reading while doing other things. So, while it's true that I'm accomplishing my goal of reading through the Bible in a year, and haven't even missed a day yet, it's also true that I'm not really absorbing as much of the reading as I'd like to. I was hoping to be able to write up a post at the end of every week about something that jumped out at me in the scriptures I've been reading, but this week, I sat down and couldn't come up with anything for a good twenty minutes.

That being said, I don't really have anything to say today. I'll be making an effort from here on to do my readings as a separate thing, maybe even use a real Bible instead of reading off a screen, and hopefully that will help me to approach this from a more prayerful place and allow me to have the scriptures really opened up to me in new and amazing ways.

It probably doesn't help that I'm super exhausted from tons of long work days in the last couple of weeks... Oh well, at least my next pay check will be astronomical ;)

Heavenly Father, thank You that You are constantly watching over Your people and providing for us, and I pray that You would open my eyes to Your Word this week and help me to discipline myself to study Your word more closely. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. This is approx. how I feel all the time when I read the Bible.

    ReplyDelete