Monday, January 09, 2012

The Bible in a Year: Week 1

So this year I'm reading through the Bible with a reading plan from the ESV. It's an initiative taken by Keith Ganzer, the rector at Emmaus Anglican Church, to get a bunch of the men together every month to talk about the stuff we've been reading through in the plan. So far I'm happy to say I've managed not to miss a day!

The plan involves daily readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs, basically going through each of these sections from start to finish. This is the first time I'm doing this, and it's been really interesting reading and reflecting on Proverbs this week. So far, I've gotten through the first two chapters, which is mostly just the writer urging people to remember that wisdom is super important.

I think this has resonated with me a lot because I'm 18 and wisdom's still not the strongest of my spiritual giftings. The emphasis being placed on it in this book is really significant because it sets the tone for the rest of the messages and gives the reader a really clear idea that Proverbs is a book of wisdom, of hints about things that will make a big difference in our walks with Christ.

I think I'm really excited to see how this Bible-in-a-Year thing will affect my ongoing goal to let God break things inside of me and reshape my character. It should be a great opportunity to learn some important lessons on the road to the places He's leading me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment